View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2021, 5:46 pm   #30
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Would I be right in thinking that in all the weaselly fine print associated with downloads there might just be a get-out clause that content may be removed at any time? and so you could lose access to what you thought you'd paid for?
What I see a download/subscription model paying for is the ability to conveniently access a range of content vastly in excess of what I could ever afford to buy were I to restrict my activities to physical media.

A tenner a month won't buy you many CDs/DVDs... and with streaming you don't come across the issue of "I spent £9.99 to buy this CD and only like one track on it".

I don't want to 'buy' digital-online content and keep it in perpetuity [a la iTunes] - just as my tastes in cassette and CD content have changed over the decades [resulting in most of my CDs/DVDs and all of my cassettes having been dumped] I guess my taste in digital music will change with time too - which is much easier to address with the subscription/streaming model.

Different people like different things, Alhough he cannot read music or play any instrument, a friend collects sheet-music: I regularly josh him by asking when he's going to get himself an Orchestra so he can hear his music-collection