View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 10:32 am   #46
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Humourus storys.....

The recent threads about L L Johns etc has reminded me of some of the customers I had dealings with during my time running a T.V. shop, surely anyone dealing with the general public has a few to tell!?
We had a customer, we will call her Mrs Cherry, ( only the fruit has been changed to protect... etc) A large imposing lady with a very loud voice complete with large hairdo, small weedy husband with little round glasses, always wore a suit.
One day in they came she marched up to the counter and shouted "shop" he struggled in carrying a 19" ultra 8500. its gone off... nothing.. estimate! She barked.
O.K. I will have a look and let you know, let me just take some details, to which she tutted and said "no need I will come back this afternoon," before I had chance to reply she was gone, Mr Cherry in her wake.
I thought it best to do the set as soon as possible fearing her wrath if she returned before I had had a look.
The fault was the tripler and having tried one in it the set worked quite well for a what was then a fairly old set.
I prepared what I thought was a fair estimate and put the set to one side awaiting her return, as I could not contact her as no details were left.
She returned mid afternoon and I gave her the news and cost, she tutted made some sarcastic comment about robbers and masks and started to take the cash from her handbag, I said no need to pay now, pay when its repaired and you collect, "you mean its not done!" "No, you wanted an estimate," she turned to her husband and shouted "they haven't done it George!"
"well you did ask for an estimate dear..." "Shut up! I'm dealing with this"! she turned to me "how long!?" pop back in an hour. "tut!" turned to George "come on".
Later she collected the set, paid and drove off in her old Volvo.
A year or more passed and then one day George returned to but a new set, Jeans, t shirt, smiling and looking years younger, with a pretty blonde girl I assumed was his daughter.
As I put the set in the back of a new Volvo I couldn't help wondering what had caused such a transformation, "Hows Mrs Cherry" I asked "Oh" said George, still smiling, "I'm afraid she died, heart attack, very sudden" "Oh sorry to hear that I said," (thinking heat attack!? she had one then!?) George shrugged and introduced me to the new Mrs Cherry!
No wonder he was smiling!
Rich.