View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2007, 12:30 am   #34
thermionic
Heptode

Default Re: Humour in the TV trade.

During my short time in the TV trade in the mid 80's down here in West Cornwall, I encountered many 'local characters' as you can imagine!!

One particular instance comes to mind. A lady called into my shop enquiring about renting a colour TV. I gladly showed her the sets available to rent, and the monthly cost. She seemed more interested in the cosmetic appearance of the set rather than it's picture & sound quality.
Eventually, she settled for an ageing HMV 22'' colour set,tucked away at the back of the shop, fitted with the 3500 chassis,as she liked the look of the cabinet. The deal was struck, and a delivery time agreed.
Huffing and puffing, I brought the set into the ladies lounge and placed it 'side down' onto the floor. Before I had chance to return to my van to collect the stand, she declared,'' that's not the set I saw in your shop,I want the same set I saw in your shop!'' Slighty bemused, I enquired what she thought was different about this set . ''The screen is the wrong way around'' she announced, ''the set I saw had the screen the other way around!'' Biting my tongue, I dilligently carried the set back out to my van, apologising as I went. I then carried the same set in the right way around and placed it back onto the good ladies lounge floor, and looked at her expectantly for approval. ''That's it, that's the one I saw in the shop''!

You just have to go with the flow sometimes!!

Simon.