Thread: Mk14 vdu
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2020, 10:12 pm   #854
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Mk14 vdu

Unfortunately my thought is that in order for me to understand the code well enough to suggest changes I literally have to start at the beginning and work my way through every line of the code so that as I go, I learn what the various labels and constants are / what they mean.

I started to do this on one of the earlier versions but then Karen came out with quite a few subsequent versions and I decided I would only start again once we had a definitive version. I didn't get far the first time but I can tell you for example that the variable TBGND contains the data for the background colour for the upper (Top) screen. I only know that because I worked through the earlier parts of the code where that was set up, I can't just jump into the middle of the code and work it out the way Slothie apparently can.

In terms of ability to understand other peoples' code I am well behind Slothie and behind Tim, who I know made a living at one time writing fluent Z80 code. In software terms I am that kid who always gets picked last for the sports team, so you really can't rely on me at this point.

If you (Ian) think you can make the changes you have suggested please do try, we are happy to test drive anything you come up with.