View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2019, 3:52 am   #78
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Continuing with the progress in chronological order, and a time/progress check. By now it was around November 2016, and I had spent a year on the restoration so far. I also had a two week Christmas vacation from work looming up. This was important, because my vacations are very good times to get time consuming difficult and/or fiddly stuff done which requires concentration and lots of time not doing anything else.

So it was an obvious step to look at what I had to do next and plan accordingly. I had the treating and respraying of the main chassis to do, the complete rewiring of the chassis, and then the slow process of initial reassembly, putting back the waxies/electrolytics, the transformers etc.

Both the rewiring and initial reassembly would be better done on the vacation when I had the necessary concentration. The respraying would be nice to do then too, but I can't respray and rewire at the same time. This meant I had to do at least some of the respraying before the vacation to let it harden, or leave it until after Christmas entirely.

So the next stage was to finish off stripping the components from the surface of the main chassis, and start some initial resprays. But, as each layer takes a week to harden, I also had time to do other things, but obviously not rewiring or reassembly which I was waiting until Christmas to do.

What I did in the meantime was to restore the loudspeaker. Photos 1 & 2 show the original condition of the speaker. It is one of Murphy's huge mains energised loudspeakers with a large cast iron case containing the field electromagnet. Like everything else it was rusted and the wiring needed replacing, but thankfully there was nothing else wrong with it, and the coils and cone were intact. It obviously came up well with rust treatment and a couple of layers of new paint. Photos 3 & 4 shows the not too unsurprising result.

After that, I spent some time cleaning and polishing the removed AF/IF coil cans, and putting in new rubber grommets. This is work which is ideal for the winter evenings after work, as it takes time but doesn't require much concentration and can even be done while watching a DVD.

Photo 5 shows the again not unsurprising result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0531.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	178484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161007_233116.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	178485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_225539821.jpg
Views:	122