View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 7:51 pm   #17
Tester.
Triode

Default Re: RGB signals from a VCR

Thanks for the welcome, Mark (longtime reader, but I only post when I've something to add to the discussion —preferably from firsthand experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
···I was ignoring pro machines... I've seen some that support YPbPr, but I don't think I've seen RGB···
Indeed, as I mentioned, pro-decks had component out —not RGB Scart— but I though I'd mention them since YPbPr and RGB are 'easily' (and quasi-losslessly) convertible.

BTW, Ceefax-subtitling-VPS compatibility on a VCR dind't automatically mean RGB support, not even for passthrough. Grundig —avid supporters of 'teletext/VPS-enabled' VCRs— often didn't offer it, even on TOTL models.

Then again, to confirm your recollections, there were VCRs with satellite tuners built-in — mostly German or aimed at their market, with their love for DBS signals. Grundig had a couple of models, JVC as well (their JVC HR-S9000 even incorporated D2-MAC!)

RFT Stassfurt, B&O, Grundig again and a few selected other brands also integrated SAT-tuners into their TVs from the mid-80's and up to the 90's.