View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 5:42 pm   #15
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: RGB signals from a VCR

Oh I don't know - apart from those later machines that support passthrough, it seems to be only the teletext machines that do it. Which does make sense, and therefore I don't think you need the dunce hat

The interesting discovery (for me, at least) is the small number of machines (well, the Philips VR813 at least) that take in RGB and convert that to YC for recording - that possibility hadn't occurred to me.

Tester, welcome to the forum

Thank you for the comments, which help to confirm my thoughts.

Interesting to hear that the Philips machine wasn't so good in RGB - of course in that case, the TDA3561 would be doing the PAL decoding instead of the TV's decoder. I always thought the TDA3561 was a pretty good decoder, but by 1991 it was rather old and perhaps newer decoders had better performance? If nothing else, it's one more part of the machine that has to be correctly adjusted on the production line. Looking at the manual, there's quite a lot to set up.

I was ignoring pro machines. I am familiar with a few of those, and have had to show immense willpower when seeing them in the WEEE skips! I've seen some that support YPbPr, but I don't think I've seen RGB - that's much less use in the professional world. I can't immediately recall seeing Scart sockets on them, but perhaps there were exceptions (but would be surprised if they went beyond S-video if present)

All the best,

Mark