Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2020, 12:19 pm   #715
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Sorry to see Maplin disappear, but, as is often emphasised, we're today experiencing rapid evolution in online retail - and overall I believe it's beneficial.

I grew up in Doncaster with numerous shops selling electronic components and other useful bits, for example, from memory: -

'Chiefy' Brown, so called because he always addressed customers as 'chief'.

Ketley & Taylor, mainly ex-WD kit, but wouldn't touch transistors because 'they melt in the heat of your hand'.

'Alf's Bargain Store' stocked all sorts of ex-WD components, some of 'interesting' dubious origin, Alf's little boxes of ex-WD wax paper capacitors were in impressive tropical packing, but were already leaky straight from stores!

Ramskir & Son were primarily a joinery and DIY retailer, but had a prodigious range of electronic components in the back room.

Plus there was always 'Smith Bros' the electrical wholesaler - as long as you knew the right people to be permitted to buy there.

So buying components typically involved a search round various shops - it took time, but was interesting. On the other hand, today online mail order is quick and cheap, with a next day service. No need nowadays to wait till you have time to visit the shops, and 'wholesalers' like RS and Farnell will sell to anyone.

As an afterthought, when it comes to DIY appliance repairs, it's remarkable what a great range of spares is available online today. What's more the spares companies even publish videos on Youtube showing how to do the fitting job.

Overall, I think we're remarkably well served today, despite the sad demise of the likes of Maplin.

Martin