Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2020, 10:26 am   #713
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
My job was always to guard the works Austin Maxi and drive off if anyone tried to put a ticket on it.
Having owned an Austin Maxi I would have stood by and let them tow it away... John.

Nobody makes anything anymore. We had a 25 year old guy at the museum that had never held a screwdriver let alone actually use it. Many young guys and many not so young, don't even know how to do simple home maintenance such as redecorating a room properly, change a tap washer, unblock a drain or put up a simple shelf. 'Often they wail, I haven't been trained' Neither was I but I soon taught myself with the aid of books. Information looked up on phones is forgotten five minutes later. They just get on their phone and 'call someone'.

The shops that supplied the needs of the handyman have gone for ever. The so called DIY stores sell more toys and beds than tools and screws. It's an age thing. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore and prefer to spend their spare time in the GYM rather than doing some useful work.
Oh well, There you go. John.