Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 4:42 pm   #704
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
What I do miss is the components shop with chemist type drawers and old-fashioned counter staffed by middle-aged blokes puffing on pipes - but that is ancient history and only a fading memory for those of us of a certain age.
Here on Tyneside our original shop like that was 'Aitken Brothers' on High Bridge, a narrow street running between Grey St and the Bigg Market. Aitkens sadly went the way Tandy and Maplin did with increasing focus on DJ type equipment and eventually closed.

We thankfully still have E.S.R components in Cullercoats which is almost a reincarnation of Aitkens with components in small trays under glass topped counters, and little drawers on the wall behind the counter, and, the hallmark of a 'real' component shop, you get your parts handed to you in a little white paper bag with the cost added up in biro on the outside of the bag.

In Felling, South Tyneside we also still hopefully have 'Canny Components' who I have ironically only ever seen at radio rallies far and wide across the country, I'll have to try to get to their actual shop some day.