View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2021, 6:12 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: 'Proper' DAB conversion for valve radios

Yes I try not to be at all dismissive David as it is an impressive technical achievement after all. Although [ironically] a bit reminiscent of those early Victorian machines that used a lot of iron work to achieve a relatively simple outcome. The led magic eye device is very intriguing as well!

I don't have any particular issue with the VHF/DAB quality debate. I only got a DAB machine when stations appeared that didn't duplicate FM ones! This was particularly important as Dylan's Theme Time "Radio" Hour was exclusively on 6 Music at first! 4xtra is another must have with it's wealth of great vintage BBC material, often lovingly restored. There's The World Service as well and I only recently discovered [2 years ago] that LBC was on the end of the DAB spectrum, along with one or two of my favourite presenters who have defected from the BBC-what's going on at BH? The commercial station has a different perspective to our National Broadcaster but they both have their positives and deficiencies.

Overall, as I record audio mainly to digital equipment now [ie DVDA or CD] there is an element of convenience re the DAB source. In the kitchen though and elsewhere I tend to have both FM and DAB radios and I might use them to alternate [for example] from one news source to another. Another type of non technical "compare and contrast perhaps?"

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Jan 2021 at 6:24 pm.