Thread: What's on TPTV
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 6:42 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Crystal Palace Fire TPTV 12-20pm

I missed it after all that It seems to be different from all your other interesting links Peter. I only spotted this item because I've realised that the TPTV Schedule is the only one that that can be guaranteed to include all the "shorties" ie 5/10 or 15 min features that are fitted into the gaps. Even then I often forget to look! I notice accusations of arson here and there on the web and it's arguable that JLB suffered the major loss re his Studio and equipment.

The amazing Crystal Palace was of course, constructed for the Great Exhibition in 1851 and in 1951 there was a Festival of Britain to celebrate the end of the war and look into the future. My sense of symmetry and indeed common sense left me appalled when there was such a concentration on "The Dome" at the end of the Millenium as the centre piece of a largely failed enterprise ["The Emperors New Clothes Exhibition"-compare it with Olympics Opening Ceremony in 2012 for example!]. If only they'd had the wit to wait for the 150th Year Anniversary, ie in 2001. The Dome might have had some content, especially regarding TV History and everything else that was planned around it could have been built or started. Just one obvious futuristic/contemporary link would have been the film "2001 A Space Odyssey" on giant screens. Instead we got a damp squib symbolised by feeble fireworks and a hypothermic Greenwich audience on New Years Eve 2000

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Jan 2021 at 6:50 pm.