View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2019, 12:40 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Philips G8 G22K522

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
The black box in the photo is the tripler. The connector dangling down should fit over a connector on the line output transformer. (Don't be concerned about the exposed insulated wire.) If the tripler has been disconnected and left dangling like that then it may mean that a previous engineer has decided that either it or the lopt has failed.
I did think it'd be connected to the LOPT as it's the only thing within reach. There is already a connection between the LOPT and the Tripler using one of these connections, connected onto the top left hand corner of the LOPT. I cannot see any other "pins" for a second connector.

Quote:
Re the red and blue smoothing caps in the power supply, that really only applied to Philips G11s; The ones in your G8 will probably be okay but you could re-form them for a few hours if you want to be sure.
Ah okay, I did read it some time ago (When i was looking for my first TV, so over a year ago now!) so I've obviously confused it over time.

Quote:
And as for replacing tuner caps, I wouldn't touch anything in the tuner. It'll be absolutely fine.
Could this be a G11 again, or a variation of a G8? I'm sure I remember reading about somewhere that they're something to look out for, but of course can easily be wrong.

Quote:
One thing I definitely would change would be that little group of blue /green tuning caps on the timebase board. They go leaky, heat up and end up popping and going open circuit.
Will do! I'll put them on my list of components that need changing, thank you for that heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Well you are a lucky chap turning up a G8! Although a 26" one is a bit of a heavy beast!
I was very lucky to get it, it was hit and miss whether I'd be able to get it. I.e. convincing someone for the 3+ hour round trip! It was actually lighter, slightly, than I expected it to be, although I did have help bringing it up two flights of stairs!

Quote:
This was a fairly early all solid state chassis but was well liked by servicemen at the time as it was well designed for easy service.
I can see why, I like the swing out chassis, in the U shape, I noticed straight away how accessible it looked to service. Looking at it too looks less confusing, as every panel is labelled, which definitely helps a beginner.

Quote:
This is in a different league to the late '70's Japanese sets you have attempted so far which tended to be totally reliable! The G8 was a frequent visitor to the workshop at the time and I seem to remember was a regular consumer of LOPT's!
The Hitachi is still going strong, with somewhat regular use, at least once a week for a couple of hours.

I did wonder if my LOPT was the one it left the factory with, as it doesn't quite match the one that Rambo linked (No yellow band on top coil)

I did wonder if this could be why there's a spare plug from the Tripler?

Quote:
This will be a challenge to get working properly and iron out all the faults but well done for being willing to have a go.
I'm quite excited to work on this, and hopefully get it working. I've never seen a DG tube either, so I'm curious how well the convergence is compared to PIL, even after setting up.

I wont power it up yet then, I wasn't going to after seeing the LOPT, without checking anyway, and also as I said, some of the resistors and the tropical fish capacitors, which have cracks in them.

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated