View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2021, 7:48 am   #29
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Keep radio original, or improve it?

Having read through this thread with some interest, I've come to the conclusion that there is a wide definition of "improve" here & rightly so. In my day job we have strict guidelines as to what is considered repairable, again, rightly so. If looked at from a monetary view then, unless the radio is as rare as hens teeth, we're all losing money! I can only speak for myself on this really so here we go. I like the challenge of taking what is potentially a write off & getting it back to a working, safe condition. If it pleases the eye as well then that's a bonus. During that process I may well come across potential weak points in the design, like slightly under rated parts etc. I'll then fit something a little beefier. That, to me, is an improvement as it may well add to the reliability of the radio. I have, in my collection, radios from the 30's through to the late 50's, they all sound different, they all have different ways of doing the same thing. I've had to replace EM speakers with PM one's on some of them & the difference is quite stark. Would that be seen as an improvement? I really don't know! It will be interesting to see how this thread develops.