View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2021, 7:41 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Codar CR70A Comms receiver.

You won't be short of aerial and earth suggestions so I'll stay out of that Stevie. If you put Codar into the search box above there are quite a few hits now! A decade or so back, we were trying to find out the origin and demise of this Company! See "History of the Codar Company" started by Gridleak on 16/11/12. Information on the business and it's products was always thin on the ground. Those relatively simple designs always looked interesting via the ads to pore over in the pages of Practical Wireless. They were not cheap however in the mid-sixties, by comparison with the Radio Surplus market or home construction. If I'd had the money, as a teenager, I would have gone "surplus" for a better set.

Ten years later I bought one second hand for £13. They do look good and work well enough though. I think the general opinion was, interesting products from a short lived Company that started up, did quite well and moved out! Check the other models, they are all quite rare now so anything in good condition is a bonus. There is a Pre-Selector aimed at boosting weak SW signals [the PR-40] but SW Stations are rare themselves these days!

Dave W