View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2019, 4:50 pm   #12
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture BBC News today.

I feel that a great many modern appliances should be designed to be repairable.
I also like the idea suggested above, that goods that cost more than a certain value should be required to have at least a 5 or 7 year warranty.

However some modern electronic goods are too compact and too complex to be readily repairable.

Electric cookers, washing machines, tumble dryers, light fittings, vacuum cleaners, and large power tools should in my view be repairable and manufacturers should be required to supply spares and fitting instructions.

Small and cheap appliances such as kettles and toasters are unlikely to be worth repairing since they cant be readily dissembled, and re-design to facilitate repair might add considerable cost. Such disposable appliances should be regarded as more like light bulbs, to be discarded when dead.
The emphasis should be on recycling the materials in such cases.

Complex and compact electronics (unless very costly) are unlikely to justify the wage cost of professional repairs, and are not repairable by most users.
There should however be a requirement for a reasonable warranty and for batteries and external PSUs to be user replaceable.