View Single Post
Old 20th May 2021, 12:37 am   #102
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Early EPROM programmer. (Softy 2)

I remember Maplin moving away from the Softy-2 and selling the cheaper ART unit instead. I haven't noticed much info on these, on the 'net - but not yey on the http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/ collection
However, attached are Maplin's 1991 catalogue pages with their details, for info. (Cropped + complete-pages also with Gang-of-8+ unit).
Maybe a scan of the manual / copy of the software posted somewhere may be useful for future reference, if not done already.

Regarding reading the Softy-2's firmware EPROM, in worst-case you could just use the unit to copy it's memory to user RAM, which can then be shown on the screen and some screen-shots taken, scrolling from start to finish as required.
If a couple of people retyped this in, then should be able to identify any re-typing errors.

I don't think it would really be worth going to the effort / risk of removing the soldered-in Character Bipolar-PROM, as I can't really see why it would have been any different from the one used in exactly the same way on the Softy-1 that S2 was really a slightly-updated version of.
So I'd be inclined just to verify it's contents in actual use - either by: Capturing the outputs relative to input pattern, with uC (may not have to be too high speed, if it just ran in a loop for a while and built-up the image over many samples)
Or maybe by just capturing a zoomed-in good quality screen shot of the font, and comparing it with that shown here:
http://www.theoddys.com/acorn/PROMs%...racter_rom.txt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7428__A.R.T._EPROM-Programmer+Eraser__Maplin-1991cat_Pg450.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	234457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7424__Maplin-1991cat_Pg450.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	234458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7425__Maplin-1991cat_Pg451.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	234459  

Last edited by ortek_service; 20th May 2021 at 12:48 am.