View Single Post
Old 18th May 2021, 6:30 am   #23
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Does this 1960s hairdryer contain asbestos?

I think my parents have still got a very similar hairdryer to that one. Although there's had a thermal cut-out reset button near the nozzle. The also had a pipe and a hood-cap + stand for it, to convert it (for doing perms?).

The only places I know asbestos was used on Domestic equipment, was the heat pad on old Beldray etc Ironing boards (they've also still got) and 'brake' pads (like in car ones for many years) used as a primitive shock absorber on old Indesit etc. washing machines (which I didn't know about, when I had one).

More worrying, is where it is used in fibrous-forms, like it seems the white felt pads used at the end of dropper-resistors in valve radio contains asbestos as well as much-larger versions of this insulation material used in Gas fires and storage heaters (as well as within wall spaces of many classrooms most of us were in for years).

But about the worst place to put it was probably within wartime Gas Masks!
It only took 100years to completely stop it being used, from when it first started being used with the dangers found soon after from those working in the factories.