View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 8:34 pm   #17
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Big DC power supply

Here's a transient response plot where the current is briefly ramped from about 2.5A to 15A. It shows about a 50mV sag in the 13.7V output when the current briefly ramps up to 15A.

The scope timebase is 500us/div and the green trace is taken from the current sampler in the electronic load.

There is very little overshoot in the plot below. However, when I decrease the risetime of the current pulse (to get a faster edge) there is some ringing that has a 20us period. This might be due to the way I wired the connections to the control board. However, in normal service it would never see a step in current that would be this fast.

I suppose I could take it apart and try and improve the transient response. The 723 regulator has a wide loop bandwidth so maybe it isn't a surprise to see some slight ringing at 50kHz when severely provoked. I think this level of performance is already very good for a low cost PSU like this and the plot below should give you some idea of what to expect in terms of dynamic regulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13v8_tr.gif
Views:	81
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	234129  

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 15th May 2021 at 8:41 pm.