View Single Post
Old 13th May 2021, 9:21 am   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Veneering a £13,000 turntable.

[QUOTE=Kentode;1373623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

When I see people attaining such high standards, I don't know whether to be inspired or depressed! .[/QUOTE

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we see your superb woodworking skills David!
Thanks Ken and Donald for the kind comments, but the little comb-jointed boxes I've posted pictures of which seem to impress people, only call for basic skills as they're made on a home-made router jig designed by the late Roy Sutton who wrote a book and a video entitled 'Router Jigs and Gadgets'. It only calls for a basic router and 1/4" or 6mm straight router bit, so it isn't like marking out and making dovetail joints.

Likewise, I went through a spate of making replica slotted backs for radios as for some odd reason, they seem to go AWOL, or get damaged through heat from droppers on AC/DC. Again I designed a router jig for cutting the slots so it's a de-skilled activity, the end results may appear to suggest that rather more skill is involved.

I guess they're optical illusions.

There are a lot of skilled woodworkers on the forum and many threads of complex restorations including cabinetry. As an example, I'd cite Merlinmaxwell's Ekco A22 stand, which he designed and made to replicate the original Ekco stands for round Ekcos. Furthermore, as Ekco never actually made a stand for the A22, the design was entirely his own work. Lots of tricky angled joints to make on quite slim pieces of wood. Tricky too, to accurately line everything up at the assembly stage. His thread is here, including dimensioned plans. Notice that he refers to it as his 'MK2' table, which again indicates how much effort and skill went into producing the final article:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57515

Back on the topic of repairing and restoring veneer on 'woodie' cabinets, there are some useful tips in the video at the link below. In particular, 3 minutes in, how to accurately cut pieces of veneer to shape using masking tape. A neat little tip worth remembering. Also, he details how he re-glued loose areas of veneer using small syringes. Some tips on how best to try to get a reasonable match with the patches to match the original veneer. He admits the end result isn't perfect due in part to time constraints, but unlike him, we have the luxury of no time constraints - what we do takes as long as it takes:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Hope the links are of interest.