View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 5:31 pm   #142
Station X

Default Re: 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxophone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyGrid View Post

This is not dead. The Quad VA-One is available with “audiophile-grade” valves treated by freezing at -300ºF for 48 hours.

Roger
This one is actually true. Spending 48 hours at such a low temperature is ‘character building’ for the tubes (similar to DofE or one of those American military schools). They then go on to be well-rounded/superior sounding members of society/your hi-fi system.

Non-cryo-treated tubes lack perspective and never realise how lucky they are, whereas those which have been to the North Pole are always thankful for the warmth of their filaments.

Very interesting thread by the way.

Liam
Liam, you don't give a single, science or physics based reason why a cry-treated valve is better than an untreated one. I have to say, the use of phrases and words like 'character building', 'well rounded/superior sounding', and 'perspective' are exactly the reason why non-audiophools respond to such claims with phrases such as smoke and mirrors, voodoo and snake oil. I'd love to hear, from you, in your own science based words (not a link to someone else's similar 'beliefs') exactly why cry-treated valves are better? I don't believe they are until I see the proof, although you say quite clearly and knowingly, "This one is actually true". Prove it. And for sure, 'proof' isn't an audiophool telling me that they can hear a difference. I can't speak for everyone (clearly) but in general we're a pretty science based bunch on here, we grew up on electronics and radio theory, and we use that theory every day to repair, set up and even modify audio equipment old and new. Notional views are only of use to those who want to believe them and for whatever reason choose not to look for objective based answers. Then again... you could be joking..
I took Liam's post with a pinch of salt, but now I'm beginning to wonder if he was being serious

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote