View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 2:33 pm   #83
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Four more MW radio transmitter closures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
The 'four mast' site at Ashton Moss is just a couple of miles NW from here and it puts in a potent signal. It'll be interesting to see what's 'behind' it when it goes off, as I'm sure it will. I can't see any takers for an expensive setup like that these days, and it has been used by at least three broadcasters since it started life as Piccadilly Radio in the 70's.
Even worse is the Gold 1458 TX, which uses about ten times the power into the old '3 mast' array originally used by BBC Radio Manchester and canes the heck out of my receivers here. ATM it seems to be suffering a 'rusty bolt' intermod problem with an s-9 mixing product on 1539. This must be a third order product which would be:
(2x1458 = 2916)-1377 kHz from Asian Sound nearby. I've checked with another Anorack up in Oldham and he can hear it too. Normally I'd complain, but I suspect the entire site will be gone fairly soon so I'll not bother.

I remember when the BBC site opened, must have been about 1972. Radio Manchester, a mere 18 kHz from Luxemburg, made listening to the latter a bit of a challenge here in Prestwich, even using my R107.

Conspiracy or what
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote