View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2020, 9:14 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

I don't think l've ever seen such an emphasis on the 1155 DF section before in an article or a thread [unless it's all been covered on You Tube?]. Very interesting guys! Many restorers have previously just followed the sixties approach [ie stripping out that section entirely] to gain more room. As dsan says though [post 6*], he has a special family motivation for getting the whole thing working.

During the period when these sets featured heavily on the Forum there was comment that they weren't very accessible for repair. Then it was pointed out that bombing missions often resulted in Aircraft only lasting a few weeks. It's a particularly resonant thought on this weekend and a reminder of the contribution made by Polish people in WW2. Many settled in Bury and their children were good friends of mine in School and at Bury Technical College!

There was also discussion of a more rare version of this receiver with a Marine Band, covering the Amateur Radio "Top Band" at 160 metres. I'd never seen one myself or in the govt surplus advert of the sixties. It was confirmed that they had been used in aircraft [and possibly patrol boats] around the British coast after the War. During this "expensive" time I advised a chap living near Kempton Park that his set was now worth more than he had thought. A few weeks later he contacted me to say "Do you want this set or not?" He wasn't interested in the money. It was his Uncle's, who had used them in the war as well. I must admit I had never seen anything quite as dangerous as the add-on PSU I but well it was years later.....different times back then! I haven't restored it but it is well looked after, which was all he wanted really and I had to press £40 on him. My uncle died two years ago and it was only a few months later that I discovered he had serviced Flying Boats in the Far East during National Service in the fifties, including [guess what] the R1155 radio setup! If only I'd known earlier .

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Nov 2020 at 9:21 pm.