View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 1:40 pm   #12
AdamOfBremen
Triode

Default Re: Help with Tandberg Model 15 2 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Note that the mic signal (in Rec or Amp mode) does not feed into the preamp outputl! So forget using the Tandberg as a mic amp. You'd have to use the speaker output I suppose, which would add a little more noise to the signal.

If you connect the 'Pre amp' phono socket to 'P. Up' and put the unit into 'AMP' you can mix a pre recorded tape with the 'live' mic, and accompany yourself - not sure if that'd be useful to you.
Thanks for all the good information, Ben, I'll follow your list when the machine arrives. I've been reading through the forum and studying what I find. Very useful.

Now, it is a bit of a disappointment regarding the pre-amp out. How I was going to connect the deck to my system was to go pre-amp out into a channel on the mixer, so I get to use all of the good stuff there like eq and effects sends, then I was going to dedicate the Aux send on the mixer to go to the record (P.Up) on the tape deck. My computer is connected running Audacity, to give you the full picture. So I should be able to go from the computer to the tape (ie: YouTube Jazz recordings in HD) and from the tape via the control room outs on the mixer to my stereo amp, driving my headphones and speakers. Let me know if you see any problems with this. One advantage of this is it converts the signals from mono to stereo and vice versa.

I have ordered some plugs and a cable to make up a converter to go from xlr plug on my mic cable to 5 pin din on the deck. This way I should be able to sing vocals direct onto the tape whilst monitoring the backup track playback coming from Audacity and either mix the two together onto the tape or transfer the vocal track to Audacity later and sync it up with the mouse I can also compare the result to the alternative running the mic into the mixer and going via the P.Up in and see which is better balanced to the ribbon mic.

Let me know if you think of any snags with this or any better ideas. There is an Aux send on every channel of the desk, so it should be pretty flexible as to what gets recorded mixed with whatever.

My speakers arrived today so I am preparing a place for those to go on the wall. It's a busy time getting things ready. The Tandberg looks like it will take up a lot of space and I have so little. How do these things run if you mount them vertically on the wall - would that even work?

Thanks again for your help.
(sorry I messed up the quote - i'm just learning)