View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 6:11 pm   #1
AdamOfBremen
Triode

Default Help with Tandberg Model 15 2 Track

Hi to all forum members.

I have just purchased a Tandberg Model 15 on Ebay for use in my home studio. I will need to service the machine of course, and perhaps I need to replace some caps. I am good with a soldering iron but have no idea really except I have built some very simple circuits like passive mixers and the like.

Perhaps there are members with an interest in these machines? If so, I would welcome some help in an emergency as I get this thing up and going.

I picked a relatively newish model in favour of the earlier stuff, and a simple one at that, as I am only learning. It is in good cosmetic looking condition, unmarked, which I hope is a good sign it isn't worn out, though of course it is rather old.

One question I have right now is about matching to the microphone input. I see this is 200 ohm. The microphone I am most interested in getting is a Ribbon Mic rated at 260 ohm. Is his a good match or is the mic too high? I read it needs to be the same or lower, though by how much I am unsure. There are other mics available at 150 ohm but these are not ribbon mics. A standard SM58 is 300 ohm (to give an idea of relative ohms).

I was hoping to go direct into the mic input yet I also have a mixing desk which I could use as a front end and send that into the line input. That has 2,500 ohm inputs. It's just that, I was hoping to use the Tandberg as a pre-amp because the mic is relatively low output.

What do you think is best?

When the machine arrives I will take it apart to clean and lubricate it and I am sure I will have other questions by then.

Thanks and regards