View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 11:55 am   #8
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Quick n dirty coil winder

The coil winder that I am building uses one of those Chinese jobs. The output shaft is M8 and the conical bobbin holders are approx 12.5mm dia upto 25mm dia. These are a bit too large for the bobbin that I wish to wind but I found a couple of aluminium feet that are small enough in external diameter and can be drilled out to the 8mm shaft size. Being a hand wind type it comes with a detachable handle. There are 2 drive gears, which will produce 2 different winding speeds. The handle is detachable as well as one of the gears. It is designed to use the handle to hold the chosen gear in mesh. Everything is metal except the turns count worm driven gear, which is plastic. Although these winders appear to be high precision, there is more play in the drive systems than expected.
I will take some pics later to show my build and a bit more detail on it. BTW thanks for all the info about using a tape counter as display, never though of that with mine coming with a display but I like the sound of changing it to digital read out, so to speak.
Dave