View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2021, 12:45 pm   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Yet another MK14 tape interface (ESP32).

I believe SBASM3 can produce .BIN files as easily as it can .INT, just a question of changing the parameters in the .TF line I think.

The main advantage from using Intel Hex rather than a binary-with-header format is that Intel Hex allows you to send your code to physically separate areas of the memory all in the same load operation.

The three blocks of onboard memory provided for on the MK14, namely

0F00-0FFF - standard RAM
0B00-0BFF - optional extra RAM
0880-08FF - RAM in RAM I/O device

...are not continuous, so it wouldn't be possible to load a 512 byte program into 0F00-0FFF and 0B00-0BFF in a single load operation due to the fact that the two RAM areas are not continuous.

With Intel Hex, the code is continually directed to the correct destination addresses by virtue of the fact that each line of code commences with the address of the first data byte in the line.

I don't currently have time to get my head around your problem with the .EQ lines for COUNT and LEN not producing the right values in the code as I am at work, but it's true that the code as written has no way to 'know' what value P3 contains upon entry. If you do know, then you may have to define those offsets with the correct values yourself.