View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2023, 12:41 am   #7
retailer
Heptode

Default Re: Project assembly guides

I use graphics software to position parts and components and to draw up wiring diagrams - I find the wiring diagrams are easier to follow in the workshop once I get to that stage. I keep all of the printed wiring/component layouts etc, so if in the future I need to modify or repair it is a great help to have that paperwork in front of me.
You don't need cad software with sub millimeter precision for the diagram/wiring layouts, I have an old copy of Autocad (Acad 2011) that I use for precision metal work on the lathe and mill but for electronics I use Inkscape, (freeware) this is more drawing/graphics rather than cad - it can dimension and you can draw full size - no need to scale - you can even print a section at a time on A4 paper and then join/tape the pages together into one large sheet. You can also use it for front panels - draw the artwork, print and then glue it onto a front panel, a few thin coats of spray varnish protects it.

There is a lot of internet support for Inkscape, so if you are stuck on how to do a certain operation, an internet search will quickly find a solution, it is well worth a look.