View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2023, 11:46 am   #27
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Testing for leaky caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobbins View Post
The cautionary aspect of using a 'megger'/insulation resistance meter is that they typically only have a few voltage settings (my handheld has 100, 250, 500, 1kV) and they typically don't discharge the capacitor at the end of the test (which means having to connect a voltmeter or load R, or both, to avoid any remnant stored charge).
The ones I mentioned in my post have a discharge button. And yes, some of them only have a few voltage settings. The exception is the General Radio 1864, which has three decade dials. 1V steps from 10V to 109V, and 10V steps from there to 1090V. The GR 1863 and 1864 have a 3 position switch, measure/charge/discharge.

Lafayette CR-46 CR analyzer discharges too - which has and electrolytic leakage test that is ideal for reforming. The only setting on that you have to be careful of is Insulation Test, that uses 600V - so using that setting for most paper or film capacitors will destroy them.

So any device that is intended for measurement purposes rather than a brute force megger, has a discharge setting to prevent people from killing themselves.

Craig