View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2023, 5:45 pm   #12
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: NTS (Alcatel) London 8 PABX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan24 View Post
Thanks Dave,
1. I'll forget about the battery backup and just re-input a few commands if power is lost as you suggest
2. If you ever fire up your 8, perhaps you could confirm 'dial 1 for recall' works on an 8?
3. I hadn't thought of using my spare exchange card for a mobile network adapter. Sounds like a fun thing to do - which GSM to PSTN box do you use?

If I find a scrap 8, I'll let you know

Phil
'1' wasn't used for recall on the London 8. The London range of PABXs started with the Lonon 12 ( came initially as an LD only system). It was designed by three senior BT engineers who left not long after BT came into existence knowing the 'liberalisation' (the ability to connect your own/rented PABX without BT being involved) was coming. They set about desiging a small PABX with lots of facilities of larger systems. To kkep the price down, the first versions were LD only for both PSTN line and extensions. They knew that OFCOM were not allowing 'Times Break Recall' initially - all BTs systems were Earth Recall only which needed the 3rd earth wire and OFCOM had close links to BT in those days! The 'London' guys designed the London 12 and then the later models L8/L16/L32/L64 to use the older pulse dialling telephones using two wires and no 'Recall Button'. The ability to use older pulse dialling phone not equipped wth an earth 'Recall' button, they craftily used the first break pulse of a dialled digit to act as the 'Timed Break Recall' - the London 8 manual in the User Guide section specifically says only to use the Recall button on MF phones and with LD phones to ignore it and just dial the number when transferring a call.

I went on the various London courses at National Telephones at Frimley Business Park, Camberley about 1985 where there pointed the above out.
The London PABXs were manufactured somewhere on Tyneside. Once Alcatel dropped the London range, some of the former manufacturers employees opened up in Scubthorpe aeea.They could supply most 'London' bits and were a good source well into the early 2000's.

I still have an unusual version of a London 8 which has 'Multi-Network-Routing' from the days before BTs 'Carrier Pre-Seletion'

The 'memory' battery in a London 8 lastsabout ten years. It is a simple job to fit a new button cell.

Ian J