View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2023, 2:04 am   #79
Katar83
Pentode

Default Re: What did I get myself into? Murphy A40C.

I'm still non wiser when it comes to SW operation with this radio in a way I'm not sure which dial I'm supposed to mainly use here as both seem to be working when SW is selected. I can switch to SW and will tune in and out of stations by using both dials which is quite confusing. I've managed to find a number of stations today, from some chinese(?), romanian, french, spanish even polish radio 1 on LW. This is on a two meters long wire antenna from my Bush radio and which sits on the garage floor.

I had a crack at the panel 1 this evening and that was a complete mess too, only one capacitor was still ok and it was a 25nF waxie, go figure! Even silver micas are bad at around 50% rated capacity, this will take me a while as it appears I'm going to have to replace these too and I barely have any here. For now I've added a few ceramic in parallel to bring it back to spec.
Of course only one screw holding the panel came out and the other had to be drilled out and a new ground added, while in there also replaced further electrolytics, which were completely shot.
It also became clear I'll have to clean up bandwave switch as the contacts are dirty and possibly the SW tuning capacitor as just knocking on them will often tune in and out of a station. Not sure yet, how I'm going to do it, I'll have a look in the morning.
Got few more questions.
Does it matter if I use some ceramic caps instead of polypropylene axial ones? I've got quite few ceramic here.
What would be a correct and a good antenna for this radio? Could someone provide an example?