View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2023, 7:04 pm   #23
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Default Re: Uher Royal Stereo 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
If you want something that you can use for variable speed tape echo then you'd be better off with something like a Philips N4504, N4506, N4512 or N4515. There are probably others in the Philips range that would work but I know for sure that these would work because they're all based on a similar transport and I've used my N4515 as a variable speed echo unit by connecting a variable resistor in parallel with the preset that controls the 1 7/8ips speed. This gave me a speed range from just over 1 7/8ips up to something like 15ips.
I got very interested by the UHER, since I've already the 4000 report monitor and they share the same speed settings. I am currently mostly using that one for tape echo since I have removed the bult in speed trim pot and replaced it with an external pot knob on the front panel . So in other words I have fine adjustment over the speed for each speed setting. That pretty much gives me almost any echo time I might need. I have modifications on all of the units I own at the moment but every one of them does not compete with echo time ranges compared to the UHER. The downside is, it's mono..

I recently discovered how to set up a stereo 3 head deck to make ping pong echo. I can even link this mode to an external switch very easily to turn it on and off. My portable stereo decks are the Marantz CP430 and the Marantz Superscope CD330. The CP430 has a small pitch range and the heads are quite close. I have a modification on that unit which drops the motor speed with a switch (as much as I could have as any lower than what I have it now just shuts off the motor). It's very similar to the PMD222 which has a standard and low speed switch built in. The CD330 I did in a different way. I took out the motor speed control PCB from the motor and I added a switch which swaps between a PWM controller and the stock speed PCB. That way I can switch to stock speed for normal playback and recording functions. Yet again, the CD330 does not go as slow as the UHER. So.. the Royal really triggered my interest and not only because of the stereo functionallity but also because of the echo built in setting and it seems much more affordable compared to say a UHER 4400 or 4200 RM.

I think I talked myself into getting the one I found, I am just waiting for a confirmation it actually records. They should let me know Monday. I am still trying to understand what chances I have to gain variable speed control over the motor.