View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2020, 12:41 pm   #708
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials 2013 to the present day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhgbristol View Post
The following photo was taken, whilst stuck at temporary traffic lights on Muller Road, Bristol last Friday evening.

It is an aerial I have noted for years, to me a local landmark, and I'd notice it straight away if it ever disappeared ! Have always looked up at it, even though my eye should be on the road!!

It a Band 1 VHF TV aerial, that would have provided its household with BBC 1, from Wenvoe, before we had the Mendip transmitter of 1970 to serve us in Bristol.

Not sure of the make - a sort of folded dipole arrangement, which I used to see a lot of in Bristol in my childhood - possibly Telefield, a local manufacturer, now long defunct, from 259 Kingsland Road St Philips, Bristol ? - Does anybody else recognise it?

The two contract style UHF aerials on the neighbouring property, pointing to Mendip, I guess were added to an existing mast, (now truncated) which appears to be 2" diameter - I guess when first added to this mast, the mast may have supported a larger VHF array further up top.
I see one of these band 1 Wenvoe ch 5 aerials on my way into work. Its in Bitton on the A431 Bristol to Bath road. It seems to be holding up very well whilst the band 3 ch10 St Hilary aerial has more or less gone with only a few bits to be seen.