View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2021, 8:14 pm   #111
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

While the 'burn your own compilation CD' idea may seem attractive to some, I can only think that if there was really sufficient demand then someone would have monetized it and it would be available as a service.

15 years ago - when I last moved-house - I'd have been happy if there was someone-out-there who offered a bulk CD-to-FLAC digitising-service - let's say a fiver per CD - and I'd have shipped them a couple of hundred CDs, hoping to get a handful of USB memory-sticks in exchange and seen the CDs get 'recycled' in a heating-furnace somewhere.

Truth is, though, if such a service had been available, I probably wouldn't ever have listened to more than 10% of the results.

Musical tastes change and evolve. Stuff I was happily paying £15.99 per CD for in the mid-90s - though fun at the time - does not turn me on these days.

I still have a few 'legacy' CDs here, along with a Philips CD710 player, which hasn't been powered-up for years - it serves as a convenient 'riser' for the monitor I'm typing this on!