View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 3:35 pm   #2261
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Remember that humour can be a very powerful weapon.

Mr Churchill sent people out to fight Mr Hitler with battleships, bombs and guns. Mr Hitler planned that when he'd won, he would keep Mr Churchill captive in relative luxury, to be displayed to Mr Hitler's guests.

Mr Chaplin made a film taking the mickey out of Mr Hitler. Mr Hitler's plans for Mr Chaplin were very nasty indeed. He could handle being bombed, but not being laughed at.

Perhaps the most extreme example possible, but humour should be used carefully. Its effects can be, um, disproportionate.

I enjoy taking the micky out of audiophile beliefs, but I try not to aim at the audiophiles personally. I want to leave them an escape route to change their minds and decide that they never really believed in it anyway, and to move towards light and reason (and maths).

A famous football team manager with a bit of a dry sense of humour came out with "Football isn't a matter of life and death... it's more important than that." Some people hold comparable beliefs over audio, but I doubt whether humour is involved.

David