View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2022, 8:12 am   #6
Robert Gribnau
Banned

Default Re: Valve sorting do you use a dBase or spreadsheet?

I use three Word-documents, ones for my new valves, one for my used valves and one for my valves in non-diy equipment.

The first two documents have blocks of rows and columns per sort of valve (triode, double diode-triode, etc.). There are four columns in each block, one for the type (AC2, CC2, DC70, etc. in alphabetic order), one for the brand, one for (the meaning of) extra markings on the valve (factory codes, manufacturer, date codes, etc.), and one column which indicates if the valve is available or is being used in one of my builds, and if so, in what build. In the document for my used valves I use either black of green writing per valve. Green indicates that the valve is tested.

The third document has blocks of rows/columns per apparatus, with three columns per block, one for the valve type, one for the brand and one for extra markings.

I keep almost all of my valves in plastic transparent containers, mostly containing only one sort of valve (power pentodes, double triodes, triode-pentodes, etc.). In each container I keep the used valves inside a transparent plastic bag. With this 'system' I never felt the need to register the location of my valves.

I have about 2500 valves in total which I registered this way. Besides that I have a large plastic container with used 10-pin television valves and a carton box with mostly large line duty output valves which I did all sort out but which I didn't test and didn't register yet.

Attached a picture of the corner in our former attic where most of my valves were situated. My valves are currently on transport from The Netherlands to Ghana. I hope they all arrive in good order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic 2014.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	267488  

Last edited by Robert Gribnau; 6th Nov 2022 at 8:20 am. Reason: Addition