View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 5:45 pm   #15
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK 146 Reel to Reel Check Out

After more fruitless searching for the lid, I eventually realised that the lid was missing when I originally purchased it (so memory of it being in good condition was erroneous), so have cleaned up the TK 141 lid to go with it.

Found the original microphone that came with the TK 146, a Grundig GDM 314 but when tested found the microphone is completely dead, all connections at the DIN connector and the microphone are intact. Looks like the microphone transformer is in the DIN connector but it only has 3 wires ?

I will use the Grundig GDM 18 microphone tested earlier to go with the unit.

This leads onto a question I have often wondered about. There are 2 outputs on most of the various microphones, on pins 1 and 3, with the output on pin 3 being around 1/10th of the output on pin 1. You can see this on the attached microphone drawing.

On the Grundig recorders microphone DIN connector pin 1 is the live pin normally used. On older recorders that use the old condenser microphones pin 3 is used as the live. But have never understood why there is the second lower output signal on pin 3 for the Grundig dynamic microphone, I am sure someone will know.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TK 141 lid on TK 146.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	244048   Click image for larger version

Name:	GDM 314.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	244050   Click image for larger version

Name:	GDM 314 transformer.jpg