View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2021, 11:19 pm   #6
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Default Re: Restoration of a Neutrofon Guldsegl 5308

It was indeed a bit of a challenge, replacing all the bad capacitors and resistors. Even if the chassis is quite large, it is still pretty cramped underneath.

I'm not aware of when FM was introduced in the UK, but here it was along the introduction of tv. From '51 or '52, experimental broadcasts (I think 1 hour a few evenings of the week) was carried out in the capitol city until '55 where "real" broadcasting was introduced. It's the same with FM. FM experiments were made already in the early 40's but on a lower frequency, I think around 40MHz. Neutrofon actually build a complete prototype chassis of an FM receiver along those experiments. I think because of the war it was all laid to rest. But this has surely helped the company gain some knowledge on the technology, which again helped them become one of the companies to first introduce FM on their early 50's models.
And yes, the mixer/osc is an UCH81 on both AM and FM section.

In my part of the country, near the German border, it was possible to receive German broadcasts, both tv and FM. So in this part of the country more sets was fitted with FM units, as was the case in and around the capitol city. Same goes for the sale of tv sets, although only occasionally it was possible to receive German tv. I think the transmitter was in Hamburg, which made it difficult to receive with proper signal.

I find it fascinating that still relatively many early TV sets were sold, although it was not until 1957 a local transmitter was build, both here in the southern part of Jutland and in Flensburg, North Germany. By that time the early sets were more or less outdated, compared to 1957 models. And most of the early sets were only 14" as well. This led to the early sets often did not see a lot of use, and was widely replaced with larger models when the new transmitter was in operation. On these old 14" sets, I have often found that the CRT's measured almost like new because of this.

Regards,

Jan