View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2019, 9:25 pm   #1
staticmind
Tetrode

Default B&O Capri 606 TV (17") restoration

Hi,

I recently acquired a Bang & Olufsen Capri 606 TV, 17", from 1960. The set was stored indoors, and it sat unused since at least the late 70'ies or early 80'ies. So it was more or less covered in dust. My plan is to get this TV set working again, but I have by no means any expertise with old TVs - only modern hardware with ICs and such.

It uses a AW43-88 CRT, my particular CRT looks to be the original one from Philips. The glass surrounding the gun looks a bit dark at some parts. The flyback looks visually good. All tubes seem to have an equal amount of dust of them, so they might all be original.
I can see some of the smaller electrolytic caps have leaked, so I would need to replace those before even attempting to power it on.

My question is: I'd prefer to bring the set up on a variac and isolation transformer, but I'm unsure if bringing it up on one can potentially damage anything due to too low voltage for a too long time. Should any tubes generally be removed before attempting this? I have attached the schematic, if it helps.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BandO_Capri606TV_schematics.pdf (673.9 KB, 410 views)