View Single Post
Old 19th May 2020, 12:01 am   #7
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Safe to apply mains?

Hi 77,
It really is a bad idea to just apply power to an un-restored TV of this vintage. It is guaranteed, 100%, not to work and more importantly, components that could be salvaged with the correct procedures can be destroyed.

THE most critical and delicate item is the line output transformer. Members have developed a process of slowly removing the absorbed moisture thereby giving a better chance of survival.

Even then, failures occur all too often. Without exception, ALL the LOPT's on the sets that I have restored have caused me issues in one way or another. They can be rewound but this is expensive, so trying to prevent failure in the first place is better!

CRT's on the other hand are not usually a problem in '50's & '60's sets and will generally work well enough to give a picture. The emission often improves with use especially if it's not been used for 50 years!

The main smoothing capacitors can usually be reformed- it's rare I've had to replace one- but again there is a process for doing this.

Don't forget that this is a 405 line TV, so you will need a standards converter to be able to watch pictures on it. That will set you back the best part of £200.

These are great looking sets (I've been after one for a while) and probably a good TV for a first restoration, but be prepared for a lot of work and a long journey- there are no short cuts!

You also need to be fully aware of the safety implications of working on Valve TV's and 'live chassis' sets.

Good luck
Nick