View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2021, 2:01 am   #24
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Which signal generator?

I would definitely choose to keep the HP function generator but I'd recommend buying or making a DC block and a 20dB attenuator and keeping this on the output at all times that you use it with a receiver. I think those old function generators can output quite a large AC waveform into a 50 ohm load and this includes the ability to add a large DC offset. This could be enough to damage some receiver inputs or even some test equipment. For example it might be possible to fry the external modulation input of another sig gen with the HP function generator. It might also be possible to do the same with the Thurlby function generator.

I'd expect the HP generator to have better RF shielding than the Thurlby so this might be important for some tests.

When I bought my first test equipment many years ago I soon learned how important it is to have at least one classic RF signal generator that has very good accuracy in terms of amplitude and frequency. I've not counted how many sig gens and signal sources I have here today but I have quite a few!