View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 7:33 pm   #78
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

While no doubt sometimes the case, the example I cited wasn't, I think, down to Eigentones or paradigm shift!
I was listening (more accurately, simply hearing without much attention and with no expectations) nearfield within my large, cluttered workshop, which has no prominent resonances. What caught my attention wasn't the music but a round of applause. The phenomenon was sudden, short-lived and unexpected. It seemed possible to locate individual audience members, and the shape and size of the hall were remarkably clear. I even noticed when a door was opened at the rear of the hall, simply by the change in acoustic. A genuinely astonishing experience which lasted perhaps 30 seconds before collapsing back to the expected vague and amorphous effect. Something fell into place briefly, whether physical or psychological, completely unexpectedly. If it could have been be analysed and recreated, there would be a fortune to be made.
When I used to do small PA jobs, one of the first things I would do was to stand and whistle / sing a gliding tone at various points in the hall. Just like the bathroom example, this quickly demonstrated any resonant frequencies to beware of.
dseymo1 is offline   Reply With Quote