View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2021, 8:06 pm   #74
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Uncle Bulgaria started with the words "I don't think", so I assumed he was going on to talk about what he thought i.e. his opinion.
Just what I intended, GJ. I have no intention of starting an argument, though an exchange of different views is indeed welcome!

All composers have always been trying to find patronage or the big hit to put bread on the table, so much was, and is, what we might think of as hack work. That doesn't mean it doesn't have value, or that certain transcendental works haven't outlived their purpose and patronage to become universal.

However, I think it's interesting that a lot of music being released today (on a variety of physical media) is purely artistic rather than commercial - if one discounts the charts and their scientific hook-writing - done by people in their bedrooms and released without a record label or significant outlay. I don't think that's been the case nearly so much in the past.

I find much of the classical repertoire leaves me cold, though I enjoy the Early Music Show, and certainly prefer Graham Fitkin to Mozart. Recently Swedish punk has been occupying my record player, as I found the exuberance, loose and lashed-up nature of it a wonderful tonic during the pandemic. I doubt anyone will write retrospectives about ShitKid, but their music really hit the spot for me recently, and the record covers are marvellous!