Thread: Dataman Mempro
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2023, 10:51 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Dataman Mempro

I noticed that the Mempro can be 'upgraded' to a 40Pro by fitting a tiny £175+VAT dongle. Thanks for pointing out that it needs an adaptor to program 2708s, that was a detail I had not noticed. No doubt that adaptor, if still available, is also ridiculously priced.

The Mempro I found at work, I've been told I can actually have it if I want it, so for a starting cost of zero it might be worth my while paying the insane cost of the dongle to make it into a 40Pro, as the 48Pro units still go for as much as £300-£500 second hand.

I have seriously considered buying a 48Pro2 (avoiding the cut-down versions like the 48Pro2C, as you say) because at the moment I have to keep an old Windows 98 PC running just to run my mid-nineties Hi-Lo systems All07A, which is what I currently use to program Bipolar PROMs.

If I sold the All07A and my ICE TECH Micromaster 1000E - both very high end programmers costing ~£700-£800 in their day, that might raise a decent amount of money towards the cost of a modern replacement which will work with a computer with a current OS.

The 48Pro2 (and clones like the Elnec 'Beeprog2') are also virtually the only modern programmers which support the troublesome Tesla PROM devices like the MH74S571.