View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2023, 9:26 am   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Testing for leaky caps

Personally if I'm testing power supply caps in a DUT I just check the DC value first if that's lower than expected I flick my meter onto AC volts to check the ripple. If the ripple is over 100mV ish I then unsolder the wire/s from the positive terminal or lift the positive leads from the PCB then test using a power supply with my DMM on DC milliamps, red lead to the supply, black lead to the cap. The power supply's negative goes to chassis/ground. If the result is over 100uA the cap is suspect.

The latter method needs care though, you need to bring the voltage up slowly or put a resistor in series to stop current surge, you also need to disconnect the ammeter when discharging the cap after test, else you'll keep blowing the meter fuse.

Lastly when using a variable supply you need to check the the cap is at the right test voltage, check with a meter, then disconnect the meter otherwise it will effect the test reading. Test at 10% over voltage as a last test, if a cap passes all tests it's good.

Andy.