Thread: Mini-Mod 2021!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2022, 11:22 am   #121
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Mini-Mod 2021!

A bit of expectation management - in case it has been lost in the thread...

My modifications for the MkII are explained in posts #94 and #95 above. (Note that D3 in #94 is the wrong way round!). The mods do not increase the power or range, but address the slight FMing this simple design has, which I suspect may also have something to do with layout.

Goodness knows how many MiniMods have been built and presumably this hasn't been generally noticed, although one made with Veroboard did suffer more than most - possibly due to some extraneous long tracks not being cut.

Thank you Peter (Electronpusher0) for adding the voltage regulator for extra flexibility, developing your new PCB layout and getting the quality boards made.

However, a note of caution; if you use a SMPS some are quite noisy and may leave residual buzz on the MiniMod signal. If you experience this please use a linear PSU or battery.

Note that the inductor and transistor/IC part-kit sold by Tony Nailer at Spectrum Communications (on his eBay store) is for the original two-transistor version. You'll need an extra BF256 for the MkII. Tony also supplies the BC548B equivalent to the old BC109 - be aware of the CBE pin-outs.

Thank you for all the positive things that have been said about the MiniMod since I published the original version in the Winter BVWS Bulletin way back in 2011!

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by Ian - G4JQT; 2nd Nov 2022 at 11:40 am.