View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 6:14 pm   #55
apollo creed
Triode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.N. View Post
I'm really referring to the type of Alcohol. The commonly found purple dyed Methylated spirits usually contains Ethanol, Methanol and Pyradine. There are known health risks with the stuff. Either wear gloves or use something like Fiddes finishing spirit, which AFAIK is Ethanol with a touch of Shellac added. The small amount of Shellac probably allows them to retail the stuff as a clear spirit.
Well of course it contains ethanol - that's the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These day's IMS depends on Bitrex to give it it's unpalatability. Methanol is present in ppm quanitities, pyrridine likewise because as we all know, IMS is an industrial by-product - I won't go into it's production method far too chemical and boring.

Always amusing to see urban myths like this parroted ad verbatim and even ad nauseum. Sure, pyrridine isn't nice and allegedly could cause male sterilisation - old wives tale! Sure methanol can cause liver failure and blindness. But hey, there's so little of both in IMS it's safe to take a bath in it so sorption through the hands is minimal and let's face it, is anyone capable of drinking more than a pint of IMS anyway will die of ethanol poisoning long before methanol becomes a problem!

I don't know many French polishers but the two I do know have been 'at it' since being lads and both are in their 70's - though one has a pacemaker fitted. I am sure they would find this 'elf and safety' scaremongering hilarious, me, I just find it plain annoying!

Apollo