View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2009, 5:25 pm   #27
radioben
Triode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

I'm definitely into shiny cabinets too! Toffee apples are nice anyway. If I want teacup stains and finger marks, I can always add my own later.

I'm still a relative novice, but thought I would pass on some hints from the professionals who taught me french polishing:

- avoid rounding the edges when sanding by keeping a thumb pressed against the edge of the work underneath the sanding sponge or paper

- they sealed the wood with sanding sealer first rather than french polish, and then cut it back before applying the polish. I prefer this way, having tried both ways

- they dipped their rubbers straight into the polish, although I didn't ask them to explain why

- they also taught me not to use gloves for polishing, as they thought it important to feel what you are doing with the rubber. It's not at all hard to get the polish off your fingers if you wash them in hot water with a splash of household ammonia added BUT not sure about the health implications of this apart from the risk of skin irritation. Anyone know?

I hope these are of help!

Best wishes

Ben