Thread: Which teak oil?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:31 am   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Which teak oil?

Just to point out, when finishing bare wood, there's a lot of difference between applying an oil and applying any other kind of finish that results in an actual skin on the surface of the wood. 'Oil', as in teak oil will sink into previously unfinished wood and it won't make an awful lot of difference how many applications (I don't say coats) you make. On the other hand, Danish oil, varnish, lacquer etc can be obtained with stains incorporated but will require multiple coats and perhaps sanding between coats. If I was wanting to apply a finish to shelving I would not use use an oil, I would use a 'varnish' of some kind that contained a stain. That way you will end up with a finish that is much less likely to gather dust and also far easier to wipe clean. My own preference (as everyone on here knows by now!) is Wilko quick dry varnish that is available in gloss, satin and matt versions and different stain options too. It goes on like soft butter with a brush and is totally problem free to get a perfect finish.