View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 11:04 pm   #50
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Reverse engineering Lumenition optical switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
For what it's worth, this is the label attached to mine. Ignore the advert for their own coil!
I wonder if the 'Constant Energy Coil' that is supposedly required by the 'Performance' system is similar. When the difference is £50 they are likely to be coy about exact differences.

Quote:
...This renders units irreparable by the user.
I hope to gainsay this, Lumenition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.oates View Post
My electronics knowledge is more basic than yours...

...link to that patent, https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...4&pageNumber=4

Chris
I think you overestimate my knowledge, Chris! That patent is very interesting though, and I almost understand it. Presumably a more modern Darlington type can be substituted to attain the same effect (though I can't really see myself engaging in engine speeds over 10,000rpm!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

R4 is pretty important...
David, lucid and thoughtful as ever. Thank you - that makes sense in conjunction with the patent above. Of course, Q1 needs to source current from somewhere!

I think R4 and D3 are present in the power module as the 7.5V supply from R3/Z1 arrives at the optical switch, so although the circuit diagram makes it look as though everything associated with Q1 is of a parcel, it could well be elsewhere. There is no R4 or D3 on my optical switch circuit board.

In my test circuit, the open collector of Q1 goes straight to the blue wire and everything fires, so there must be current there.

Some Darlingtons have arrived, and new IR bits. Let's see what I can squeeze into a small space...